- Be able to defend your codes, be confident
- Do your research
- Embrace auditing and feedback, learn from mistakes
- Be resilient in the midst of pressure and auditing, remain calm, keep a sense of humor
- Stay detached from the reaction of others
- Don’t put too much weight on failure – learn from mistakes, pick up and move on.
- Don’t take criticism too hard
- Don’t get into “analysis paralysis”
- Network and grow your knowledge base. Don’t depend just on your employer to provide.
- Don’t refuse to leave your comfort zone, tackle areas you are afraid of
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen” – Winston Churchill
Debra Beisel Denton, RHIA, CCS, CCDS
AzHIMA Coding Roundtable Coordinator, 12/2015