AzHIMA Merit Scholarship
The Arizona Health Information Management Association offers merit scholarships, with the support in part from fundraising efforts, to outstanding undergraduate students pursuing a degree in health information management and health information management professionals pursuing graduate degrees to further their degree in Health Information Technology and Health Information Management.
This scholarship program acknowledges and rewards HIT/HIM students for academic excellence, leadership, and volunteer effort. Recognition of these students will encourage them to continue professional growth through active participation in the association.
Up to FOUR (4) $500 scholarships will be awarded to qualified applicants enrolled in one of the following:
- a program of health information management/technology accredited by CAHIIM.
- a college or university accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency and pursuing a bachelor’s degree or higher in a program related to health information management.
Applicant must be:
- a resident of Arizona;
- a member of AHIMA/AzHIMA;
- enrolled in an accredited Health Information Technology or Health Information Administration Program;
- registered and attending a minimum of one (1) class
Applicant must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
Applicant should demonstrate involvement in the AzHIMA community through (examples of involvement may include):
- Attendance at AzHIMA association meetings;
- Service in AzHIMA committees;
- Employment in the HIM field;
- Participation in school activities;
- Volunteer work (AzHIMA committee participation)
All applications MUST include:
- Completed application form;
- Verification of enrollment;
- Letters from two references. References may be from educators, employers, or other health information professionals (no more than one letter may be from an instructor).;
- Current Transcript documenting completion of most recent semester (official transcripts are not required, but are encouraged);
- Mail application materials to:
Attn: Awards & Scholarship Committee
Previous scholarship recipients may not reapply.
Each scholarship application will be reviewed by the Awards & Scholarship Committee. The committee reviews applications based on the following criteria, in order of importance:
- Grade Point Average and Academic Achievement
- Volunteer and Work Experience
- Commitment to the HIM Profession
- Clarity of Application
- Scholarship recipients will be notified prior to the AzHIMA Annual Convention and Exhibit
- Scholarship recipients will receive recognition at the Awards and Scholarship Presentation during the convention.